SYRACUSE PEACE OF MIND

A Blog about Finding Peace of Mind - and Health and Happiness - in Daily Life with Young Living Essential Oils, Hands-On Healing and other Natural Things.

Start on the Inside


I seek peace of mind. It is my #1 goal. I have other goals, too, but I believe most are related to and contingent upon my peace of mind.

I equate peace of mind with happiness, joy, contentment. Our society tells us that happiness comes from having certain material things: the right car, the right house, the right clothes, the right job, the right partner and so on. Certainly, these things can feel good. But do they make us truly happy?

They do not, according to my teacher, John Bruna, who lived as an ordained Buddhist monk for six years and now travels the country helping people live meaningful lives. He returns to Syracuse next month to give several talks and workshops.
John, as a monk, greets
His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"Happiness is an inside job," John says. "Genuine happiness, peace and contentment, come when your actions are in alignment with your values and beliefs. It's hard not to feel good about yourself when you're living a life of integrity."

That life of integrity consists of love, kindness, peace, health and joy. Since meeting John in January 2013, I have been taking his message to heart. Though I like to think I've been on the path to peace for many years - by living a mostly natural life, practicing yoga, working as a healer, and so on - there is always room for improvement. Now, I watch my words carefully so as to be kind and not harm anyone. I try to control less - myself and others. I offer to help more. I meditate. I drink mostly water, juice and herbal tea. No soda. No alcohol. And I feel myself changing. I am happier. More content. I experience peace of mind more often.

"Nothing feels as good as when you have nothing to hide," John says. "When you do things you don't feel good about it, it leads to problems."

As for those material things, he says. "They bring temporary happiness, but they all end. And when they end, we suffer."

To learn more about finding happiness on the inside, join me and John for his workshop The Four Immeasurables on June 14 from 10am to 4:30pm at the Polarity Center of Syracuse's Stone Totem Yoga Studio, 5397 Nichols Road in Tully. The Four Immeasurables are practices that open the heart, cultivating equanimity, loving-kindness, compassion and empathetic joy. The workshop is by free-will donation to support John and his charitable work. There will be a potluck lunch. Call or text me at 315.391.1679 to register.


The Polarity Center of Syracuse's first workshop with
John in June 2013. He is seated in front, third from
the left. I sit next to him, third from the right.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here